Trusted Counsel For Military Divorce

As a service member or a service member’s spouse, you know the rules of the system you are in differ in so many ways from civilian life.

This is certainly true in military divorce cases, where military-specific processes and procedures come into play.

At Mitchell Highlander, LLC, we know how to work with those procedures in order to protect your interests and pursue your goals. From offices in Maryville and O’Fallon, near Scott Air Force Base, we have a proven record of effective representation on behalf of service members and their spouses.

Call 618-803-4022 to discuss your specific situation with an experienced Illinois lawyer.

What Is So Different About Military Divorce?

When a military marriage falters, several aspects of service life can affect how divorce proceedings are initiated and resolved. Our law firm has experience handling a full range of these military-specific matters, including:

  • Stay on the initiation of civil proceedings — Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA) provides for a stay or continuance of 90 days when commencing a divorce or other proceeding against a service member.
  • Internal military disciplinary rules — Service members can get into trouble for violating rules within their branch of service, such as by committing adultery or not supporting a spouse.
  • Housing allowance — Service members receive a housing allowance based on where they are living. Though this is not taxed, it is considered income for child support or spousal maintenance purposes.
  • Pension issues — A civilian spouse’s claim to a pension is a matter of state law. But military-specific issues can arise in determining a service member’s eligibility for a pension and when direct payment can be made through the Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS).

Our law firm focuses a key part of its practice on staying current on military-specific issues such as these. We stand ready to help you protect your rights and interests.

Get The Help You Need

For a confidential consultation with an attorney, call our office or complete the brief online form.