Making The Right Choice About Your Divorce Process

Ultimately, it doesn’t matter whose decision it was to get divorced. Maybe it was yours, maybe it was your ex’s, or maybe it was both.

What matters now is how you respond. At Mitchell Highlander, LLC, we can help you decide whether contested divorce or uncontested divorce is best for you. Using more than a decade of experience, our law firm will help you resolve the issues and move forward toward your new life.

Call 618-803-4022 to discuss your specific situation. From offices in Maryville and O’Fallon, we help clients in Madison County, St. Clair County and Bond County in Illinois.

Which Approach Is Best For You?

Attorney Mitchell Highlander, LLC is equally committed to providing skilled guidance in your divorce, regardless of whether the proceedings are contested or uncontested:

  • Uncontested divorce: If you already know what you want and have agreed to it with the other party, we can put it in writing and make sure everything is complete, accurate and that you understand what you are agreeing to (and what rights you are giving up.)
  • Contested divorce: Most divorces are contested. This doesn’t mean it has to be a long, drawn-out court battle. It simply means that at the time of filing, you haven’t yet agreed to all the numerous issues in divorce. These issues can be resolved through mediation, negotiation or in court, if necessary.

Even with an uncontested divorce, the advice and counsel of a knowledgeable lawyer is important in protecting your interests. We can help with negotiation and with making sure paperwork is completed properly. If you and your ex are on relatively amicable terms, this can be a highly beneficial way to proceed.

But if you and your ex are in conflict about significant issues, a contested divorce is what you have to expect. Your attorney can play a key role in safeguarding your position and working to resolve issues in ways that achieve your goals.

Take Action

Call our office to set up a confidential consultation or reach out with the brief online form.